Sunday, January 10, 2010

Newton's Second Law part A

I learned how to do many things after learning Newton's second law.  Newton's second law states, "for a particular force, the acceleration of an object is proportional to the net force and inversely proportional to the mass of the object." This law links mass, acceleration, and the forces. This can be used with many problems, and even systems. Systems don't usually balance out, and this law helps find the acceleration. This law uses the formula a=∑F/m or ∑F=ma. Using this formula I learned to solve problems with acceleration in them, not just problems at constant speed or at rest. I also found out how to solve systems, including problems using pulleys and Atwood's machines. With these problems I improved my ability to draw FBD's and calculate the sum of the forces. I have also learned how to calculate the friction force acting on an object. The equation for this is Ff= Fn(mu). mu is the coefficient of friction and is used to calculate the frictional force.

What I have found difficult with this law and these problems is when I do not have much information, and I  have to keep working on the problem and it somehow works out in the end. I get a little confused going through the problems without knowing multiple variables. Also, a am not quite a master at finding the mu and friction force, because we just learned about it and it is still fairly new.

I think my problem solving skills are improving and I am able to catch on to new ideas faster. Although I am not a master at the frictional force equation and problems yet, I am catching on to this idea much faster and already understand it with most problems. I sometimes find certain acceleration problems difficult when not much information is given. I am fairly secure with systems, and can usually find the answers that I am looking for. Overall I think I am getting better at solving problems and can grasp ideas quicker.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent posting! Your reflection is very thorough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I think you will learn to calculate the friction force very quickly. I also agree that this unit helps you understand and draw FBD's because most problems require it as part of the answer and that it helps a lot while solving problems to see if you count a force as positive or negative in your equation. GREAT WORK!!! - sorry for posting this comment on your wrong posting

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha no problem!! haha i read it on the other one and thank you!!! haha i know the FBD is very important!! and haha i hope i get better at friction quickly! but i am getting the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete